I recently had the chance to create the visual identity for Twitch streamer satan_the_muffin.
I started off with a few traditionally drawn concepts when brainstorming icon ideas. The first image was hand-drawn before being vectored. I further refined the image by adding color and simplifying. Since the icon was going to be small, I knew it was important to create something that was easily recognizable and wouldn’t lose detail when scaled down.
After getting some ideas down to show, I further discussed the future content of satan_the_muffin’s Twitch streams. He explained that he was mostly interested in indie games and a big fan of the game Runescape. I decided that pixel art would be the best fit given this information. This was my first time making pixel art which was a fun challenge. I took my watercolor image and pulled out the main elements to use as a base for my pixel muffin.
I also created additional pixel wings to create a pixel animation for use during streams.
The final part of the visual identity was a page banner. I edited a free pixel font to round out the old school videogame concept.
Pabst Blue Ribbon held their annual PBR Art Contest which I was inspired to enter. I started off by writing down concepts and ideas that I thought of while researching about the company. Based on both their website and social media accounts, it was clear that PBR prides itself on being a drink associated with community. I decided to revisit an old art concept I had and give it an update. Here are some of my initial sketches and the first concept:
I eventually decided I wanted something more engaging so I made skateboarding the main focus. Here are the second set of sketches:
Over the summer, I was selected to be a graphic design volunteer for the Organization for Transformative Works (OTW) Communications department. The Communications team is the central information distribution arm of the OTW, responsible for distributing information to the general public, the media, fans, and other organizations. Communications is also responsible for posting content to the main OTW blog (tw.org), as well as cross-posting content from the OTW blog onto AO3, social media, and other OTW outlets.
As part of the volunteer committee, I was tasked with creating banners to be used on the main OTW blog site that adhered to company branding standards as well as file specifications. I was responsible for the creative direction of the banners and all illustration work was created on my own.
The typewriter illustration separately. Image was sketched out on paper before I used Illustrator to create a vector image.
Stereohype, a London based graphic art label and online boutique, held their annual button badge competition for a new series of designs to be added to their growing collection. These designs were inspired by my love of both lowbrow art and food. I created these illustrations with ink and watercolor. The bacon and egg skull became one of their new single button design winners.
Jerry’s Artarama needed artwork for a promotional giveaway that was being shared on the company’s Facebook page. The artwork needed to use the advertised canvas boards as well as adhere to company standards and showcase other featured products.
I created a painting for them to use as well as helped to ‘stage’ the photo. The painting was made using acrylic gouache on textured canvas board.
As of March 2019, This illustration was chosen as the second place winner for the Wake Technical Community College’s Northern Campus mural!
Wake Technical Community College’s North Campus was looking for submission’s for a mural to be hung in the student lounge. I chose to go with something that represented North Carolina so I went with a lighthouse. I wanted to emulate a sunset so I chose a warmer color palette. I also knew that I wanted to do a postcard design so I went with a font that was reminiscent of old postcards and added in a white border.
AIGA Raleigh, the Raleigh chapter of the professional association for design, worked together with HP Graphic Arts to collect over 100 greeting cards for patients at St. Jude’s Childrens’ Research Hospital. These illustrations were created to be child-friendly but encompass a wide audience. Emphasis was placed on illustration and typography.
I was tasked with creating a flyer that would be given to Artsplosure sponsors with information on the First Night event. The front half was to contain infographics breaking down demographics, costs, etc. while the back would be a collage of images from the event.
I worked on this technical illustration utilizing Adobe Illustrator. I worked with a series of sketches and decided that an exploded view would work best. The process involved using an isometric grid to ensure correct proportions and using a variety of gradients to get a realistic, 3D look.